RECIPES & MEALS
Lemon Meringue Pie
Courtesy of The incredible edible egg™
Prep Time: 30 Min.
Cook Time: 20 Min.
What you need:
* 1 Basic baked pie crust or Nutty baked piecrust,, cooled
* 1-1/2 c. sugar
* 1/3 c. cornstarch
* 1/4 tsp. salt
* 1-1/2 c. water
* 1/2 c. fresh lemon juice
* 5 egg yolks, well beaten
* 2 Tbsp. butter
* 1-3 tsp. freshly grated lemon peel
* 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
* 1/3 c. cold water
* 5 egg whites, room temperature
* 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
* 1/2 c. sugar
* 1/2 tsp. vanilla
What to do:
1. Heat oven to 325°F.
2. Filling: Mix sugar, cornstarch and salt in large heavy saucepan. Gradually stir in water and lemon juice until smooth. Add egg yolks; stir until blended. Add butter.
3. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and comes to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, stirring constantly, 1 min. Remove from heat. Stir in lemon peel; set aside.
4. Immediately make Meringue: Dissolve cornstarch in cold water in small saucepan; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; cover.
5. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in mixer bowl with whisk attachment on high speed until foamy. Beating constantly, Add sugar, 1 Tbsp. at a time, beating after each addition until sugar is dissolved before adding the next. Continue beating until whites are glossy and stand in soft peaks. Beating constantly, add cornstarch paste, 1 to 2 Tbsp. at a time. Beat in vanilla.
6. Pour hot filling into piecrust. Quickly spread meringue evenly over filling, starting at edge and sealing to crust all around; swirl with back of spoon. Bake in upper third of 325°F oven until lightly browned, 16 to 18 min. Cool on wire rack 30 min. to 1 hr.
* Pie crust options: Pie can be made with any standard baked 9-in. piecrust or with Graham Cracker Crumb Crust or Gingersnap Crumb Crust.
"For more ways to enjoy The incredible edible egg™, visit incredibleegg.org"
Calories: 498; Total Fat: 19g; Saturated Fat: 6g; Cholesterol: 165mg; Total Carbs: 76g; Fiber: 1g; Protein: 7g; Sodium: 263mg;