RECIPES & MEALS
Marinated Italian Vegetable Toss
Courtesy of CanolaInfo
Prep Time: 15 Min.
Cook Time: n/a
What you need:
* 1 can (13.75 oz.) quartered artichoke hearts, drained
* 1/2 of 16 oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
* 1 c. grape tomatoes (250 mL)
* 1/4 c. (1 oz./28 g) part-skim mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/4-in. cubes (60 mL)
* 8 pitted Kalamata olives
* 1/2 medium green pepper, cut into strips
* 2-3 Tbsp. (30-45 mL) fresh oregano leaves or 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) dried oregano leaves
* 1 1/2 tsp. (7 mL) chopped fresh rosemary leaves or 1/2 tsp. (2 mL) dried rosemary leaves
* 2 Tbsp. canola oil (30 mL)
* 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar (15 mL)
* 1 medium clove garlic, minced
* 1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes (.5 mL)
What to do:
1. Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and toss gently, yet thoroughly, until well coated. Serve with wooden picks or forks.
Fast Tip: In addition to bringing out ingredient flavors, canola oil binds the herbs to the vegetables. Double the recipe and use leftovers as a topping for a luncheon pasta or green salad.
Serving size is 1/4 c. (75 mL)
Recipes courtesy of "The Heart-Smart Diabetes Kitchen: Fresh, Fast Flavorful Recipes Made with Canola Oil" from the American Diabetes Association and CanolaInfo, copyright 2009. Photo by Taran Z.@2009 from "The Heart-Smart Diabetes Kitchen."
Calories: 65; Saturated Fat: 4g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Total Carbs: 6g; Fiber: 2g; Protein: 2g; Sodium: 140mg;