RECIPES & MEALS
Baked Acorn Squash with Cranberry-Orange Sauce
Courtesy of CanolaInfo
Prep Time: 10 Min.
Cook Time: 1 Hr.
What you need:
* Canola oil cooking spray
* 1/4 c. dried cranberries (60 mL)
* 1 tsp. orange zest (5 mL)
* 1/4 c. orange juice (60 mL)
* 1 Tbsp. canola oil (15 mL)
* 1 large acorn squash (about 1-1/2 lb.), quartered lengthwise, seeded and skin pierced with a fork in several places
* 1-2 Tbsp. brown sugar substitute (15-30 mL)
* 1/8 tsp. salt (.5 mL)
* 1 tsp. vanilla (5 mL)
What to do:
1. Preheat oven to 375°F (190 C). Lightly coat a 9-in., deep-dish pie pan or baking dish with canola oil cooking spray. In the pan, stir together cranberries, zest, juice, and canola oil.
2. Place squash cut side down on top of cranberry mixture. Cover with foil and bake 45 min. or until tender crisp when pierced with a fork. Turn each piece to other cut side down; bake uncovered 15 min. or until squash is tender.
3. Remove squash and place on a serving plate. Add brown sugar substitute, salt, and vanilla to cranberry mixture; spoon equal amounts of mixture on each piece of squash.
Serving size: 1 squash quarter
Recipe courtesy of "The Heart-Smart Diabetes Kitchen: Fresh, Fast Flavorful Recipes Made with Canola Oil" from the American Diabetes Association and CanolaInfo, copyright 2009. Photo by Taran Z.@2009 from "The Heart-Smart Diabetes Kitchen."
Calories: 130; Total Fat: 4g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Total Carbs: 25g; Fiber: 5g; Protein: 1g; Sodium: 80mg;