RECIPES & MEALS
Mango Banana Phyllo Nests
Courtesy of CanolaInfo
Prep Time: 25 Min.
Cook Time: 5 Min.
What you need:
* 1 Tbsp. canola oil (15 mL)
* 6 sheets phyllo dough, thawed
* 1 1/2 tsp. canola oil (7 mL)
* 2 Tbsp. packed brown sugar substitute blend (30 mL)
* 1 Tbsp. orange juice (15 mL)
* 1 ripe mango, peeled, seeded and diced
* 1 medium banana, peeled, quartered lengthwise, and diced
* 2 Tbsp. confectioners' sugar (30 mL)
* 1/4 c. dark rum (optional) (60 mL)
What to do:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Using 1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil, lightly brush one side of each phyllo sheet. Cut each sheet with a sharp knife into four lengthwise strips and then cut each strip in half to make eight squares per sheet.
2. In six alternating cups of a 12-cup muffin pan, lace eight squares of phyllo per cup, corners overlapping in the center. (There is not enough room to fill all 12 cups; six is manageable.) Press down gently to allow bottoms to take the shape of the muffin cup. Ruffle edged to create a nest appearance. Repeat with remaining five whole phyllo sheets. Place on a center oven rack, and bake 5 min. or until golden. Remove from oven, and place muffin tins on a wire rack to cool completely.
3. Meanwhile, combine 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) canola oil, brown sugar, and orange juice in a medium bowl. Add mango and banana, and toss gently, yet thoroughly, to coat.
4. To serve, place phyllo nests on individual dessert plates, spoon equal amounts of mango mixture, about 1/3 c. (75 mL), into each nest. Place confectioner's sugar in a fine-mesh sieve and sprinkle evenly over the edges of each nest. Spoon 2 tsp (10 mL) rum over each. Serve immediately.
Serving size: 1 phyllo nest
Recipe courtesy of "The Heart-Smart Diabetes Kitchen"
For more information, please visit: canolainfo.org/heartsmart
Calories: 175; Total Fat: 4g; Saturated Fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Total Carbs: 33g; Fiber: 2g; Protein: 2g; Sodium: 95mg;