RECIPES & MEALS
Grilled Wisconsin Havarti Sandwich with Spiced Apples
Courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board
Prep Time: 10 Min.
Cook Time: 15 Min.
What you need:
* 1/4 c. plus 3 Tbsp. butter, softened, divided
* 2 Granny Smith apples, cored and thinly sliced
* 4 to 6 Tbsp. sugar, to taste
* 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
* 1/2 tsp. ground cardamom
* 8 thick slices rustic round loaf bread (French or Italian)
* 8 thin slices Wisconsin Havarti Cheese
What to do:
1. Melt 3 Tbsp. butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add apples, sugar, cinnamon and cardamom; cook about 7 min., stirring frequently until most of the apple juices are reduced and the fruit is coated with a syrup. Remove pan from heat. Set aside.
2. Place 4 slices of the bread on a griddle. Top each with 1 slice of Wisconsin Havarti, 1/4 of the spiced apples, another slice of Havarti and top with remaining slices of bread. Butter sandwich tops. Turn over and butter again.
3. Place griddle over medium heat. Brown on each side 3 to 5 min., until golden and Havarti begins to melt. Cool 5 min. before serving.