RECIPES & MEALS
Double Cheese Souper Bowl
Courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board
Prep Time: 15 Min.
Cook Time: 20 Min.
What you need:
* 4 Tbsp. butter
* 1/2 c. onion, diced
* 1/2 c. celery, washed, diced
* 4 Tbsp. flour
* 3 c. milk, warm
* 1 c. (4 oz.) Wisconsin Sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
* 1 c. (4 oz.) Wisconsin Gouda cheese, shredded
* white pepper, ground, to taste
* 5 drops hot sauce
* 1/2 c. ham, diced
* 1 Tbsp. chives, minced
What to do:
1. Over medium heat, in a heavy bottomed sauce pan, heat butter until melted. Stir in onion and celery, cover. Cook 3 min. or until transparent. Stir often to prevent browning.
2. Stir in flour to thicken. Cook until it bubbles. Slowly stir in warm milk, mixing until thickened and smooth. Bring to a simmer (do not boil) and continue stirring.
3. Reduce to very low heat and add Wisconsin Cheddar and Wisconsin Gouda cheeses, white pepper and hot sauce. Stir until well blended. Add ham and chives. 4. Place in a thermos and bring to any sports event. Serve in mugs at your tailgate parties.
*(Substitutions: Beer or non-alcoholic beer could be used instead of milk.)