RECIPES & MEALS
Roasted Vegetable Minestrone
Courtesy of CanolaInfo
Prep Time: 20 Min.
Cook Time: 1 Hr. 15 Min.
What you need:
* 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
* 1 medium zucchini, coarsely chopped
* 1 medium yellow squash, coarsely chopped
* 1 medium eggplant, peeled and coarsely chopped (about 1 lb.)
* 5 Roma tomatoes, coarsely chopped
* 1 red onion, coarsely chopped
* 6 garlic cloves, peeled
* salt and pepper to taste
* canola oil cooking spray
* 2 oz. prosciutto
* 1 tsp. dried oregano
* 1 tsp. basil
* dash red pepper flakes
* 2 bay leaves
* 1 (14 oz.) can whole tomatoes in juice, broken up
* 9 c. chicken broth, regular or low sodium
* 1 (16 oz.) can cannelloni beans or white beans, rinsed and drained
* 2/3 c. penne pasta noodles
* garnish with grated parmesan cheese
What to do:
1. Preheat oven to 400° F.
2. In a large bowl, combine sweet potatoes, zucchini, yellow squash, eggplant, tomatoes, red onion, and garlic. Add canola oil, salt and pepper to taste and toss. Line baking sheet with foil. Place vegetables on the foil lined baking sheet. Roast for 45 min. to 1 hr., stirring vegetables after 30 mins. Remove from oven and set aside.
3. In a large non-stick pot, coated with canola oil cooking spray, cook prosciutto, oregano, basil and red pepper flakes over medium heat for 1 min., stirring constantly.
4. Add bay leaves, tomatoes, chicken broth and white beans. Bring mixture to a boil and add pasta. Lower heat and simmer for 15 mins. or until the pasta is tender. Remove bay leaves. Stir in roasted vegetables. Garnish with grated Parmesan cheese and serve immediately.
Calories: 240; Total Fat: 8g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 5mg; Total Carbs: 33g; Fiber: 6g; Protein: 11g; Sodium: 350mg;