RECIPES & MEALS
Calypso Beef Soup
Courtesy of The Beef Checkoff
Prep Time: 20 Min.
Cook Time: 25 Min.
What you need:
* 1-1/2 lb.95% lean ground beef
* 1 c. diced peeled sweet potato
* 1/2 c. chopped onion
* 1/2 c. chopped red bell pepper
* 1 tsp. curry powder
* 2 Tbsp. flour
* 2 c. water or ready-to-serve beef broth
* 1 can (15-1/2 oz.) black-eyed peas, drained
* 1 can (13-1/2 oz.) light unsweetened coconut milk
* 2 c. packed fresh baby spinach leaves
* 3 Tbsp. chopped fresh thyme
* salt and ground black pepper
What to do:
1. Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add ground beef; cook 8-10 min., breaking into 3/4-in. crumbles and stirring occasionally. Remove from skillet with slotted spoon. Pour off drippings in pan; add sweet potato, onion, bell pepper and curry powder. Cook 4-5 min. or until onion and pepper are crisp-tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in flour; cook and stir 1 min.
2. Stir in water, black-eyed peas and coconut milk; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 5-8 min. or until sweet potato is tender. Stir in spinach and thyme. Cook 1 min. or until spinach wilts. Season with salt and black pepper, as desired.
* This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc; and a good source of fiber.
* Recipe Courtesy of The Beef Checkoff
Calories: 308; Total Fat: 11g; Saturated Fat: 6g; Cholesterol: 76mg; Total Carbs: 22g; Fiber: 4g; Protein: 30g; Sodium: 327mg;