RECIPES & MEALS
Smokey Apple & Butternut Squash Soup
Courtesy of U.S. Apple Association
Prep Time: 15 Min.
Cook Time: 45 Min.
What you need:
* 1 Tbsp. butter
* 1 Tbsp. olive oil
* 3 large onions, finely chopped (about 4-1/2 c.)
* 1 tsp. chipotle chili powder
* 2 lb. butternut squash, peeled and cut into chunks (about 6 c.)
* 1 lb. sweet apples, peeled and cut into chunks (about 3-1/2 c.)
* 1 c. apple juice (more if necessary)
* 1 c. chicken broth
* 1/2 tsp. salt
* 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
What to do:
1. Heat oil and butter in large saucepan; add onions and chili powder. Cook and stir until onions are tender, about 10 min. Add squash, apples, apple juice, chicken broth, salt and pepper; bring to boil.
2. Cover and cook on low heat until apples and squash are very soft, about 30 min. Cool. Puree with an immersion blender or a food processor; return to saucepan. Add additional apple juice or broth, if needed. Garnish with toasted pecans, sour cream swirls and thin apple slices, if desired.