RECIPES & MEALS
Strawberry Rhubarb Parfloat
Courtesy of California Strawberry Commission
Prep Time: 30 Min.
Cook Time: 25 Min.
What you need:
* 2 lbs. rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 5-inch pieces
* 2 c. sugar
* 3 oranges
* 3 c. milk
* 3 Tbsp. sugar
* 1 c. sugar
* 3/4 tsp. corn syrup
* 1/4 tsp. vitamin C powder
* 3/4 c. Thai or Italian basil leaves, loosely packed
* 1/2 lb. fresh California strawberries, stemmed and diced
* Sugar, as needed
* 1 1/2 pints vanilla bean ice cream
* 1 1/2 c. seltzer
* 6 basil sprigs
What to do:
1. To make Rhubarb Syrup, in heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat rhubarb and sugar with 2 Tbsp. water over low heat, covered, about 10 minutes or until rhubarb is soft, stirring occasionally. Strain syrup through fine strainer or colander lined with cheesecloth. Refrigerate.
2. To make Orange Milk, remove zest (orange part of skin) from oranges with vegetable peeler. In saucepan, heat milk and zest to just below boil; remove from heat and steep, covered, 1 hr. Strain; add sugar. Refrigerate.
3. To make Basil Syrup, in saucepan, simmer sugar, corn syrup and vitamin C with 1/2 c. water until slightly thickened. Cool. In blender, purée syrup with basil and pinch of salt; strain through fine strainer. Refrigerate.
4. Sweeten strawberries with sugar to taste. For each serving, in chilled 16-oz. glass, layer 1/4 c. Rhubarb Syrup, 2 Tbsp. Diced Strawberries, two 1/4-c. scoops ice cream, 1/2 c. Orange Milk, and 2 more Tbsp. Diced Strawberries. Add 1/4 c. seltzer; drizzle with 2 Tbsp. Basil Syrup. Garnish with 1 basil sprig.
Calories: 665; Total Fat: 12g; Cholesterol: 41mg; Total Carbs: 138g; Fiber: 4g; Protein: 8g; Sodium: 109mg;