RECIPES & MEALS
Star-Spangled Blueberry Parfaits
Courtesy of US Highbush Blueberry Council
Prep Time: 15 Min.
Cook Time: n/a
What you need:
* 1 loaf (10 3/4 oz.) pound cake
* 1/4 c. red currant jelly OR other red fruit jam
* 2 - 6 oz. containers low-fat vanilla yogurt
* 2 c. fresh blueberries
What to do:
1. With a serrated knife, cut pound cake into 14 slices 1/4" thick. Return remaining cake to the freezer for another use.
2. Spread 7 of the slices with jelly; top with plain slices; trim off and discard crusts. With a 1-1/4" star or other shape cookie cutter, cut a shape from four sandwiches; set stars aside. Cut sandwich trimmings and remaining whole sandwiches into 3/4" squares.
3. Among four 8-oz. parfait or wine glasses, divide half the cake squares, half the blueberries, and 1-1/2 containers yogurt. Top with the remaining cake squares and blueberries. Spoon dollops of the remaining yogurt on top of each parfait; top each with a star and serve.