RECIPES & MEALS
Curried Lentils and Vegetables
Courtesy of CanolaInfo
Prep Time: n/a
Cook Time: 22 Min.
What you need:
* 2 Tbsp. canola oil (30 mL)
* 1 medium onion, minced
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 2 tsp. curry powder (10 mL)
* 1 tsp. ground cinnamon (5 mL)
* 1/2 tsp. ground cloves (2 mL)
* 1/2 tsp. dried thyme (2 mL)
* 1 c. water (250 mL)
* 1/2 c. dried green lentils, rinsed (125 mL)
* 1 c. carrots, peeled and diced (250 mL)
* 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed
* 1 (14 oz. / 398 mL) can low sodium diced tomatoes
* 1 Tbsp. cooking sherry (15 mL)
* 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper (1 mL)
* chopped cilantro, optional garnish
What to do:
1. In large saucepan with lid, heat canola oil to medium. Add onion and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, curry powder, cinnamon, cloves and thyme. Stir and cook for about 2 minutes.
2. Add water, lentils, carrots, sweet potato, tomatoes (and their liquid) and sherry. Simmer for about 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
3. Season to taste with pepper and garnish with cilantro, if using. Serve.
* Recipe courtesy of Patricia Chuey, RD and CanolaInfo.
Calories: 150; Total Fat: 5g; Saturated Fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Total Carbs: 22g; Fiber: 5g; Sugar: 5g; Protein: 5g; Sodium: 210mg;