RECIPES & MEALS
Cajun Pile Ups with Pepper Sauce
Courtesy of CanolaInfo
Prep Time: n/a
Cook Time: n/a
What you need:
* 1 1/2 Tbsp. canola oil (20 mL)
* 2 tsp. Louisiana-style hot sauce (10 mL)
* 2 tsp. cider vinegar (10 mL)
* 1/4 tsp. dried oregano leaves (1 mL)
* 1/2 of (16 oz./ 500g) loaf multigrain Italian bread, cut into 8 slices
* 4 c. (about 2 oz/ 60g) loosely packed, torn romaine pieces (1 L)
* 2 Tbsp. (1 - 2 oz./ 30 - 60 g) pickled mild banana pepper rings, drained (30 mL)
* 1 medium tomato, cut into 4 slices and then halved
* 1/2 c. thinly sliced red onion (125 mL)
* 1/2 medium green bell pepper, thinly sliced
* 1/4 lb. deli-sliced lean ham (125 g)
* 2 thin slices (1 1/2 oz./ 50 g) reduced-fat Swiss cheese, cut in half
What to do:
1. Combine sauce ingredients in a small bowl and stir until completely blended.
2. Drizzle one side of each bread slice with sauce and top four bread slices (sauce side up) with equal amounts of filling ingredients in the order listed, beginning with torn lettuce. Top with remaining bread slices (sauce side down), press down slightly, and cut each sandwich in half diagonally.
* Recipe courtesy of "The Heart-Smart Diabetes Kitchen: Fresh, Fast and Flavorful Recipes Made with Canola Oil" from the American Diabetes Association and CanolaInfo.
Calories: 275; Total Fat: 10g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 20mg; Total Carbs: 30g; Fiber: 5g; Protein: 18g; Sodium: 530mg;