RECIPES & MEALS
Grilled Portabella Mushroom Sandwich
Courtesy of Wheat Foods Council
Prep Time: 10 Min.
Cook Time: 5 Min.
What you need:
* 4 large whole wheat buns
* 2 portabella mushrooms, sliced into halves horizontally
* 1 large red bell pepper, quartered vertically
* 2 golf ball sized balls of fresh mozzarella cheese
* 4 tsp. olive oil
* 2 Tbsp. dried or 4 Tbsp. fresh basil leaves
* 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh chives
* 2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
* Optional: alfalfa sprouts, onions or your favorite vegetable
What to do:
1. Combine cheese, oil, basil, chives and vinegar in a blender. Blend until smooth; set aside.
2. Grill* the mushrooms about 3 minutes per side or until tender. Grill peppers (do not peel) until
tender, about 5 minutes per side. Skin will be wrinkled and lightly brown. Slightly toast the buns on the grill and spread the mozzarella mixture evenly on the bottom of each bun. Cover with mushroom slice and red pepper. Serve immediately.
*Can also be done under a broiler.
Calories: 216; Total Fat: 7g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 3mg; Total Carbs: 30g; Fiber: 6g; Protein: 11g; Sodium: 312mg;