RECIPES & MEALS
Healthy Stuffed Rainbow Peppers
Courtesy of epicurious
Prep Time: 10 Min.
Cook Time: 33 Min.
What you need:
For the Stuffed Bell Peppers:
* 2 Tbsp. coconut oil
* 1/2 yellow onion, peeled and chopped
* 4 minced garlic cloves
* 1 lb. ground turkey
* 1/2 c. fresh basil leaves, chopped
* 4 medium bell peppers, tops removed and seeded
* Parmesan cheese to sprinkle on top
* salt and pepper to taste
For the Israeli Couscous:
* 1 box of Israeli couscous
* 1 (16-oz.) container low-sodium chicken broth
* 1 1/2 c. cannellini beans, rinsed
* 4 grape tomatoes, halved
* 1 1/2 c. spinach, chopped
* 1/4 c. Parmesan cheese
What to do:
1. To make the Stuffed Bell Peppers: Preheat your oven to 350°F. In a large sauté pan, warm the oil over moderate heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until onions are soft, about 3 minutes. Add the turkey and cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes, until the turkey is cooked. Add in the basil. Stuff the peppers and sprinkle cheese on top. Season with salt and pepper. Place the peppers in a 9-by-9-inch baking pan and bake for 20 minutes.
2. To make the Israeli Couscous: In a large saucepan, cook the couscous with the broth according to the directions. Add the beans and tomatoes and let sit, covered, for 5 minutes. Meantime, put the spinach in a large bowl. Pour the couscous on top of the spinach and stir it in gently. Add in the cheese and stir once more. Serve with the stuffed peppers.
From The 2014 Healthy Lunchtime Challenge Cookbook
Recipe Provided by Grace Wetzler, Age 12
All Food Photography by Jeff Elkins of Jeff Elkins Photography for Epicurious
For more information, please visit epicurious.com
Calories: 392; Total Fat: 10g; Total Carbs: 40g; Protein: 27g;