RECIPES & MEALS
Smoky Southwestern Vegetable Dip
Courtesy of epicurious
Prep Time: 10 Min.
Cook Time: 10 Min.
Chill Time: 15 Min.
What you need:
* 4 whole-grain pitas
* baked corn tortilla chips
* grape seed oil or olive oil, for drizzling
* Himalayan pink salt or any sea salt
or coarse salt to taste
* 1 (16-oz.) container of low-fat
cottage cheese, drained
* 1 (15-oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
* 1 (15-oz.) can sweet whole kernel corn, rinsed and drained
* 1/2 c. peeled and seeded cucumber, chopped
* 1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and
* juice of 1 lime
* 1 tsp. chili powder
* 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
* 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
* 1 small avocado, cubed
* 1/4 c. roasted salted sunflower seeds
* celery sticks
What to do:
1. To make the crisps: Preheat the oven to 375°F. Cut pita wedges and corn tortillas into bite-size wedges and lightly sprinkle with oil and salt. Bake in oven for 10 minutes, turning over after 5 minutes. Let cool.
2. In a large bowl, mix cottage cheese, black beans, corn, cucumber, and red pepper. Add the lime and spices, stir and refrigerate for about 15 minutes. Add avocado and sunflower seeds just before serving.
From The 2014 Healthy Lunchtime Challenge Cookbook
Recipe Provided by Ranger Lemaster, Age 8
All Food Photography by Jeff Elkins of Jeff Elkins Photography for Epicurious
For more information, please visit epicurious.com
Calories: 314; Total Fat: 8g; Total Carbs: 41g; Protein: 18g;