RECIPES & MEALS
Around the World in One Bite
Courtesy of epicurious
Prep Time: 15 Min.
Cook Time: 22 Min.
What you need:
* 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
* 1 scallion, chopped
* 1/2 c. finely diced red bell pepper
* 4 c. chopped kale
* 3 c. shredded or grated sweet potato
* 1/2 c. crushed pineapple in juice, not drained
* 2 c. shredded cooked chicken
* 1/2 c. cooked brown rice
* 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
* 1/2 tsp. salt
* 2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
* 1 package 6-inch egg roll wrappers
* 1/3 c. plain yogurt
* 2 Tbsp. lime juice
* 2 tsp. honey
What to do:
1. In a large sauté pan, warm the oil over medium heat. Add the scallions and peppers and cook for about 2 minutes. Add kale and sweet potato and cook for 5 minutes more, stirring often. Add the pineapple and its juice, chicken, rice, cayenne, and salt and cook until vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add cilantro.
2. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Fill each egg roll wrapper with approximately 3 tablespoons filling in the center of the roll. Fold in both sides and tightly roll closed according to egg roll package instructions. Bake on a cookie sheet for 10 minutes or until lightly golden. While the pockets cook, whisk together the yogurt, lime juice, and honey for a dipping sauce.
From The 2014 Healthy Lunchtime Challenge Cookbook
Recipe Provided by Lucy Fairhead Hickerson, Age 8
All Food Photography by Jeff Elkins of Jeff Elkins Photography for Epicurious
For more information, please visit epicurious.com
Calories: 289; Total Fat: 5g; Total Carbs: 37g; Protein: 14g;