RECIPES & MEALS
Purple Power Bean Wrap
Courtesy of Recipes for Healthy Kids Cookbook for Homes
Prep Time: 20 Min.
Cook Time: 20 Min.
What you need:
* 1 tsp. lemon zest (make zest from juiced lemon)
* 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
* 2 c. canned low-sodium great northern beans, drained, rinsed
* 1/2 c. fresh avocado, peeled, pitted, puréed
* 1 Tbsp. fresh garlic, minced
* 2 1/4 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
* 1/3 tsp. chili powder
* 1/2 tsp. salt
* 1 1/2 c. fresh purple cabbage, finely shredded
* 6 whole-wheat tortillas, 10-in.
* 3 c. fresh romaine lettuce, shredded
What to do:
1. Grate lemon rind on hand-held grater or citrus zester to make zest. Juice lemons. Set aside.
2. Purée beans in a food processor or a blender until smooth. Put into a large mixing bowl and set aside.
3. Purée avocado, lemon juice, lemon zest, garlic, olive oil, chili powder, and salt until smooth. Mix into pureed beans. Add shredded cabbage. Mix well.
4. You may cover and refrigerate at 40°F for no more than 2 hours to avoid browning of avocado.
5. For each wrap, place 1/3 cup of bean filling on the bottom half of tortilla. Top with 1/2 cup of lettuce. Roll in the form of a burrito. Cut diagonally. Serve immediately.
For more recipes or information, please visit teamnutrition.usa.gov
Calories: 274; Total Fat: 10g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Total Carbs: 38g; Fiber: 8g; Protein: 8g; Sodium: 424mg;