RECIPES & MEALS
Courtesy of National Pork Board
Prep Time: 15 Min.
Cook Time: 51 Min.
What you need:
* 1 lb. boneless pork loin, cut into 1-in. cubes
* 3/4 lb. pork sausage links
* 3/4 c. green onions, sliced
* 1 clove garlic, crushed
* 2 14 1/2-oz. can chicken broth
* 2 c. rice
* 1/2 tsp. salt
* 1/2 tsp. oregano
* 1/4 tsp. saffron, crushed
* 1 bay leaf
* 1 lb. shrimp, fresh medium, peeled
* 1 10-oz. box frozen peas
* 1 2-oz. jar pimiento strips, drained
* 2 Tbsp. parsley, chopped
What to do:
1. In a large skillet or 4-quart Dutch oven brown sausage over medium heat. Drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings in skillet; set sausage aside. Add pork to skillet with green onion and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until pork is browned, about 8-10 minutes.
2. Return sausage to pan with chicken broth, rice, salt, oregano, saffron and bay leaf. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer 25 minutes. Add shrimp, peas, pimiento and parsley. Simmer, covered, for 10-15 minutes or until shrimp are done. Remove bay leaf.
* Looks complicated, but it's not: This classic Spanish rice dish boasts shrimp, pork sausage and fresh pork. Kissed with saffron, and enlivened with pimiento and green peas, this one-dish meal makes enough for a crowd. Just add a crusty loaf of bread to serve alongside. Leftovers reheat nicely in the microwave.
* Recipe and photo courtesy of National Pork Board. For more recipes visit:
Calories: 570; Total Fat: 16g; Saturated Fat: 5g; Cholesterol: 185mg; Total Carbs: 63g; Protein: 42g; Sodium: 1380mg;