RECIPES & MEALS
Watermelon Pomegranate Toss Salad
Courtesy of National Watermelon Promotion Board
Prep Time: 15 Min.
Cook Time: 25 Min.
What you need:
* 1 c. pomegranate juice
* 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar (pomegranate vinegar is the best)
* 1 1/2 Tbsp. orange zest
* 1 Tbsp. agave syrup
* 1 small shallot, minced
* 1/8 tsp. stone-ground mustard
* 1/2 c. extra-virgin olive oil
* salt and pepper to taste
* 8 c. baby spinach (one 6-oz. bag or carton)
* 3/4 c. diced red onion
* 2 c. diced watermelon (placed on paper towel to drain excess fluid)
* 1 clamshell (6 oz.) fresh raspberries
* 1/2 c. pomegranate seeds
What to do:
1. Place juice in a small saucepan over medium-high heat and simmer until reduced to about 3 Tbsp. and liquid is a thick syrup. Set aside. When cool, add remaining dressing ingredients, from vinegar to salt and pepper. Whip. Set aside for flavors to blend.
2. Place spinach in a large serving bowl. Top with onion, watermelon, raspberries, and pomegranate seeds. Divide onto 4 salad plates and drizzle with dressing.
* Also known as The Red Eye Special Salad, this salad supplies more than half your day's need for the B vitamin, folate, the entire day's need for vitamin A, and hefty doses of vitamin C, iron, magnesium, calcium, and antioxidants. It also is rich in lutein and zeaxanthin, two compounds shown to protect eyes from vision loss.
* Recipe Courtesy of The National Watermelon Promotion Board
Calories: 376; Total Fat: 26g; Saturated Fat: 4g; Fiber: 6g;