RECIPES & MEALS
Chipotle Pork and Pepper Stew
Courtesy of National Pork Board
Prep Time: 20 Min.
Cook Time: 40 Min.
What you need:
* 1 1/2 lb. New York (top loin) pork roast, or boneless pork loin chops, trimmed, cut into 3/4-in. dice
* 1 1/2 Tbsp. canola oil, or other neutral-flavored oil
* 2-4 canned chipotle chile in adobo sauce*, minced
* 1 tsp. salt, or more to taste
* 2 bell peppers, ideally 2 different colors, sliced
* 1 large red onion, or white onion, sliced
* 2 14- to 15-oz. cans diced fire-roasted tomatoes
* 1 15-oz. can black beans, or pinto or kidney beans
* 2 c. corn kernels, freshly sliced off the cob, canned (drained), or frozen
* 2 Tbsp. fresh oregano, chopped
* You can find canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce in the ethnic or Latin section of most major supermarkets.
What to do:
1. In a large saucepan or small stockpot over medium-high heat, warm the oil. Add the pork, chipotles, and salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until no longer pink on the outside, about 4 min.
2. Add the peppers and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the peppers and onions are starting to soften, about 4 min.
3. Add the tomatoes (with their juices) and 1 c. of water, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pot. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the pork, peppers, and onion are tender, about 15 min.
4. Stir in the beans (with their juices) and corn and cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, 5-8 min. Add the oregano and additional salt to taste.
* There are a lot of ways to make this stew your own--for example, you can adjust the heat by using more or less chipotles, or use different colors of peppers, different types of beans, or different combinations of both. You can serve it garnished with sour cream or avocado, or over rice or polenta. On the side, try a crisp green salad and plenty of warm tortillas.
* Recipe and photo courtesy of National Pork Board. For more recipes visit:
Calories: 260; Total Fat: 9g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 45mg; Total Carbs: 23g; Fiber: 5g; Protein: 20g; Sodium: 860mg;