RECIPES & MEALS
Pesto Potato Salad
Courtesy of Idaho Potato Commission
Prep Time: 15 Min.
Cook Time: 15 Min.
What you need:
* 4 medium organic IdahoŽ russets
* diced red onion
* kalamata olives, crushed
* 1/2 bunch organic parsley, washed and thoroughly dried
* 1/4 c. raw pine nuts
* 2 cloves garlic
* splash of lemon juice
*1/2 c. good extra virgin olive oil
* salt & pepper to taste
What to do:
1. Scrub the potatoes. Since they are organic, do not peel; the skin provides nutrients and texture. Slice lengthwise and cut into bite sized cubes. Place in a large pot, fill with cold water, just barely covering. Bring to a boil, lowering the fire to medium for a nice simmer. Cook potato cubes till fork tender. Drain and set aside to cool in a large bowl.
2. Carefully pick leaves of the half bunch of organic parsley; reserve.
3. Toast raw pine nuts in a small frying pan, careful not to burn, just lightly golden all over; reserve.
4. In a blender or Vitamix, add parsley, toasted pine nuts, garlic cloves and a splash of lemon juice.
Slowly stream in the olive oil until all is emulsified. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
5. Fold the pesto into the bowl of potatoes. Mix well. Serve warm, room temperature or cold.
* Optional additions: Diced red onions for color, capers or crushed kalamata olives for added saltiness.
* A perfect side for fried chicken, burgers or hot dogs.
* Recipe courtesy of Lan Pham, www.angryasiancreations.com.