RECIPES & MEALS
Courtesy of CanolaInfo
Prep Time: 15 Min.
Cook Time: 20 Min.
What you need:
* 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
* 1-1/4 c. water (300 mL)
* 1 c. flour (250 mL)
* pinch salt
* white pepper to taste
* flour to coat dipping ingredients
* 1/2 lb. seafood, cut into bite-size pieces (250 mL)
* 1/2 lb. chicken, cut into bite-size pieces (250 mL)
* assorted vegetables; cauliflower, snow peas, sliced carrots, red or green bell pepper strips, bean beans and thin asparagus, cut into bite-size pieces
* 1/2 c. soy sauce (125 mL)
* 1 clove garlic, minced
* 1 Tbsp. brown sugar (15 mL)
* 1 tsp. fresh ginger, minced (5 mL)
* 1/4 c. sake, dry sherry or apple juice (60 mL)
What to do:
1. Beat egg yolk with fork, add cold water and mix well. Add flour and just stir to combine. Batter should be quite thin, about the consistency of cream. Add more ice water if necessary. Mixture should leave just a thin coating on seafood or vegetables when dipped.
2. Blot dry prepared vegetables, chicken or seafood in a paper towel and then roll in flour. Dip into the tempura batter and deep fry immediately in hot canola oil. Serve with Teriyaki Sauce.
3. Teriyaki Sauce: In a bowl, combine soy sauce, garlic, sugar, ginger, and sake.
Note: Ensure seafood, chicken and vegetable pieces used are dry and near room temperature before dipping them into the batter.
* Recipe courtesy of CanolaInfo.com