RECIPES & MEALS
Deep, Dark and Stout Chili
Courtesy of CanolaInfo
Prep Time: 15 Min.
Cook Time: 60 Min.
What you need:
* 2 Tbsp. canola oil (30 mL)
* 1-1/2 lb./750 g extra lean ground beef (or 1 lb./500 g extra lean ground beef and 15-oz./426 mL can kidney beans, rinsed and drained)
* 2 c. diced green bell peppers (500 mL)
* 1 c. diced red onion (250 mL)
* 3 cans (14.5 oz./412 mL each) no-salt-added stewed tomatoes
* 1 bottle (12 oz./341 mL) dark stout beer
* 3 Tbsp. chili powder (45 mL)
* 1-1/2 Tbsp. ground cumin (20 mL)
* 1-1/2 Tbsp. smoked paprika (optional) (20 mL)
* 1 Tbsp. sodium-free beef bouillon granules (15 mL)
* 1 tsp. salt (5 mL)
* 1/2 c. chopped fresh cilantro leaves (125 mL)
* 1/2 c. finely chopped red onion (125 mL)
* 1 medium lime, cut into 6 wedges
What to do:
1. Heat 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) canola oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Working in two batches, brown beef, about 3-4 min. per batch, stirring frequently.
2. Meanwhile, in a sauté pan heat remaining 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) canola oil and cook bell peppers and onions 4 min. or until onions are soft, stirring frequently. Stir into cooked beef. Add stewed tomatoes, beer, chili powder, cumin, paprika, and bouillon. Bring just to a boil over medium-high heat, reduce heat, cover and simmer 45 min. Stir in salt.
3. Serve chili with choice of toppings placed in three small bowls.
Yield: 8 servings. Serving size: 1-1/3 c. (325 mL) chili.
* Recipe courtesy of CanolaInfo.
Calories: 240; Total Fat: 8g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 45mg; Total Carbs: 18g; Fiber: 5g; Protein: 20g; Sodium: 480mg; Potassium: 18mg;