RECIPES & MEALS
Samba Steak Stir-Fry
Courtesy of The Beef Checkoff
Prep Time: 18 Min.
Cook Time: 12 Min.
What you need:
* 1 lb. round tip steaks, cut 1/8-1/4 in. thick
* Pico de Gallo (recipe follows)
* 3 tsp. vegetable oil, divided
* 1-1/2 c. thinly sliced bell pepper, any color
* 1/2 medium white onion, cut into 1/2-in. wedges
* 1 medium jalapeņo pepper, thinly sliced
* 8 small whole wheat tortillas (about 6-in. diameter), warmed
* 3 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 tsp. ground cumin
* 1-1/2 tsp. ground chipotle chile pepper
* Pico de Gallo: Combine 3/4 c. chopped tomatoes, 1/4 c. chopped white onion, 3 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro, 2 tsp. minced jalapeņo pepper, 1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice in medium bowl. Season with salt, as desired.
What to do:
1, Prepare Pico de Gallo. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
2. Stack beef steaks; cut lengthwise in half and then crosswise into 1-in. wide strips. Combine beef and rub ingredients in large bowl; toss to coat evenly.
3. Heat 1 tsp. oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add bell pepper, onion and jalapeņo; stir-fry 5-8 min.or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Remove from skillet; keep warm.
4. Heat 1 tsp. oil in same skillet until hot. Add half of beef; stir-fry 1-2 min. or until outside surface is no longer pink. (Do not overcook.) Remove from skillet; keep warm. Repeat with remaining 1 tsp. oil and beef.
5. Return all beef and vegetables to skillet. Season with salt, as desired. Serve beef mixture in tortillas; top with Pico de Gallo.
* Recipe Courtesy of The Beef Checkoff
Calories: 510; Total Fat: 14g; Saturated Fat: 4g; Cholesterol: 75mg; Total Carbs: 61g; Fiber: 9g; Protein: 37g; Sodium: 686mg;