RECIPES & MEALS
Beef Tenderloin with Wild Mushroom Grits
Courtesy of The Beef Checkoff
Prep Time: 30 Min.
Cook Time: 45 Min.
What you need:
* 1 (2-3 lb.) center-cut beef tenderloin roast
* 3 Tbsp. fresh thyme, chopped
* 4 tsp. pepper
* 2 Tbsp. butter
* 1 lb. assorted wild mushrooms (oyster, cremini and shiitake), coarsely chopped
* salt and pepper
* cooked grits
What to do:
1. Heat oven to 425°F. Combine thyme and pepper; reserve 1 Tbsp. for mushrooms. Press remaining seasoning mixture evenly onto all surfaces of beef roast.
2. Place roast on rack in shallow roasting pan. Insert ovenproof meat thermometer so tip is centered in thickest part of beef, not resting in fat. Do not add water or cover. Roast in 425°F oven 35-40 min. for medium rare; 45-50 min. for medium doneness.
3. Remove roast when meat thermometer registers 135°F for medium rare; 150°F for medium. Transfer roast to carving board; tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand 15-20 min. (Temperature will continue to rise about 10°F to reach 145°F for medium rare; 160°F for medium.)
4. Meanwhile melt butter in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and 1 Tbsp. reserved seasoning; cook and stir about 7 min. or until mushrooms are tender. Season with salt and pepper, as desired. Keep warm.
5. Carve roast into slices. Serve over grits, as desired; top with mushrooms.
* Recipe Courtesy of The Beef Checkoff
Calories: 543; Total Fat: 21g; Saturated Fat: 9g; Cholesterol: 149mg; Total Carbs: 32g; Fiber: 4g; Protein: 56g; Sodium: 149mg;